July 2015-July 2018

July 2015-July 2018

Monday, June 6, 2016

Big Bugs and The 60 Year Celebration of Missionary Work in Taiwan

This had to be the craziest week of my life! So many miracles. So many disasters.  It was eventful, fun and a great week.

On Tuesday Elder Francis and I went finding and we ran into this guy outside of his office on a bike path.  We began talking to him and his coworker. Another one of their coworkers poked her head out and invited us to eat dinner with them.  So, we said yes, went inside and ate some dumplings with them!  We ended up talking to them about the gospel and they said that we could come back next week and teach them some more!  They were so sweet. They invited two white people that they just barely met into their home for dinner!  Taiwanese people are so nice!

Thursday was NUTS!  We were talking to a drunk lady and she could not take her eyes off of Elder Francis because he is just so handsome.  We ended up setting an appointment with her for another time, preferably when she is less drunk;) Twenty minutes later we ran into a man who had just been released from the hospital.  We talked to him for about 4 minutes when all of a sudden he started shouting and fell to the ground.  In the process, he knocked his head on the ground and started to bleed from a cut on his head.  He began having a seizure in which his whole body was shaking and he was foaming from his mouth. We called the police and some other Taiwanese people came and helped. After we left the man that was having the seizure, we saw a GIANT flying beetle that started to chase one of our investigators. The beetle landed on her pants and Elder Francis started to hit the bug with his empty water bottle.  This day was so bizarre!

Saturday was a super sweet day.  There was a big celebration for 60 years of missionary work in Taiwan.  We were able to hear one of the first four missionaries in Taiwan speak, Elder Kitchens. When he left for his mission, he took a bus to California.  He then had a month long boat ride to Hong Kong.  He then waited for 7 months for his visa. After his visa came, him and the four other missionaries made it to Taiwan.  I can't imagine trying to do missionary work with absolutely NOTHING!  No members, no chapel, not even a Chinese Book of Mormon!  I am so grateful for all of the work that has already been done in Taiwan.  It's crazy to think that within 60 years the members in Taiwan went from 0 to 58000+.  I am so grateful for having the opportunity to continue the legacy that has been established here in Taiwan.

Thank you all for taking some time out of your day to read my emails!  I really appreciate it and I love hearing about everybody in the REAL world!;) I love you all!

Elder Coletti

No comments:

Post a Comment